Being prepared for inclement weather, especially in the Florida area is extremely important, and making sure that your home is ready for hurricane season should be at the top of your list. Making sure that that it’s ready to withstand the elements, including high winds, heavy rain, and flying debris should be of primary importance and could make the difference between your safety and damage to your home.
It goes without saying that making sure that your garage is safe, secure and protected should be near the top of your list. Here’s a list of questions you should consider:
- Is the weather stripping around your door worn out and in need of replacement?
- Is there any structural damage to your garage door?
- Is your current garage door an older model?? If so, you might want to swap out your door for a newer wind-rated, structurally-reinforced model.
- What kind of door opener do you have? If you have a chain-operated model, you might want to consider upgrading your opener to an opener that has an optional battery backup that will operate in the event of a power outage.
- Does your garage door have any windows? What is your plan to protect them from breaking during the storm?
- How are the batteries in the opener? Do they need replacement?
- Do you have an extra garage door opener? Where is is stored for easy access?
- When was the last time you had your garage door inspected? If it’s been a while, you should look at having a reliable garage door technician to do a thorough and complete inspection of the door and all of its components.
- How are the garage door springs? The springs, especially torsion springs can degrade faster due to humid conditions.
- Have you checked the sensors to make sure that your door opens and closes completely?
You can never predict when a hurricane will form, nor can you predict when and if it will hit your home or business.
Make it a priority to make sure your garage door is in good working order. If you’re not sure what might need fixing or know to look for, contact a technician for a thorough inspection today.